Archbishop's Appeal

The Archbishop’s Appeal is the annual fundraising campaign that provides supplemental financial assistance to institutions, programs and ministries affiliated with the Catholic Church throughout the Archdiocese of San Antonio.

Learn More about the Archbishop’s Appeal Make a Donation to the Archbishop’s Appeal.
  • 4,500,000
  • 4,000,000
  • 3,000,000
  • 2,000,000
  • 1,000,000

San Fernando Cemetery III

Approximately 130 acres of burial property located in the Southwest part of San Antonio, next to South entrance to Kelly Air Force Base. San Fernando Cemetery III dates back to early 1914's with its first recorded interment on November 23, 1914. It was operating under the name of Roselawn Cemetery Association that was recognized in September 1915. In June 1980 the name was changed to Roselawn Park, Inc. On March 1, 1981 the Catholic Archdiocese of San Antonio purchased the cemetery and in August of 1983 the name was changed again to Roselawn Resurrection Cemetery. Then in1985 the name was changed still one more time to San Fernando Cemetery III. With over 38,000 burials San Fernando Cemetery III continues to operate today.

Some of the original founders include H. E. Dickson, L. B. Haines, and Kenneth Wimer. Since it's inception several organizations have purchased property for the exclusive burial of their members. Such organizations like the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers purchased property in May of 1918, also the Amalgamated Association of Street and Electric Railway Employees of America, Division 694 purchased property in July of 1929. Also the Brotherhood of locomotive Firemen and Engineers purchased property in April of 1922. A Lutheran religious organization also purchased property to accommodate it's members. A Veteran's section was even selected for exclusive burial of Veterans who have served our country. In September 1997 the Dominican Prior of San Juan Macias, a religious order of priests, have selected San Fernando Cemetery III to be their burial grounds. San Fernando Cemetery III is the last resting place of a number of Catholic's and non-Catholics as well.

In 1961 and 1966 a Mausoleum complex was designed and built. The Court of Acceptance and the Court of Remembrance have many loved ones entombed there today. In 1973 the cemetery was awarded the Bexar County Paupers Burial contract. In May of 1973 the cemetery purchased it's crematory that is still in operation today, with over 300 cremations a year.

Following the traditions of the church concerning devotions for the souls of the faithful departed, Mass is celebrated on All Soul's Day every November 2nd. We also have followed our nation's tradition in honor of those faithful departed who have served our country with a Mass celebrated every Memorial Day.

We must remember that our Catholic Cemeteries are established for the care of the blessed bodies of our loved ones gone on before us. It would be difficult to mention all those buried here, but they will always be remembered in our solemn prayers.