In addition to the classroom courses, we also offer online courses for Levels 1–3 Certification. Each Level provides an integrated series of prayer, theological, scriptural and practical experiences through which students can deepen their personal life in faith and continually improve their ability to communicate the Word of God.
Online Level 1 Certification
Online Level 1 Certification consists of:
• 25 Faith Foundations Lessons that present the content of the Catholic Faith
• 8 "Catechesis 101" Lessons that cover evangelization and catechetical methodology
• A Closing Retreat to help connect the participant to the catechetical mission of the Archdiocese, develop the spirituality of the catechist and provide an opportunity for theological reflection
This study of the basic truths of the Catholic Faith combines prayer, catechetical content, personal stories, and discussion questions to assist the learner in understanding the Church’s teaching and answer common questions. These lessons are complimented by a consideration of the nature of catechesis (the teaching of the Catholic Faith) and its relationship to evangelization; as well as catechetical methodology and the spirituality of the catechist.
Online Level 2 Certification
Online Level 2 Certification through Catholic Distance University (CDU) consists of the completion of 8 courses addressing 3 areas: Theology, Scripture, and Catechetics:
• Theology: Expressing fidelity to Catholic doctrine, the theological content of these courses centers around the four pillars of the Catechism of the Catholic Church.
• Scripture: Close examination of the Old and New Testaments of Sacred Scripture open catechists-in-training to the Word of God.
• Catechetics: In order to foster strong and faithful teaching practices, these courses form educators in the Six Tasks of Catechesis as developed in the National Directory for Catechesis.
Online Level 3 Certification
Advanced Catechist Certification, or Level 3, consists of at least 100 clock hours beyond Level 2 through a complete and significant certificate or degree program. Along with prayer and ministerial experiences, Level 3 should include a broadening and deepening of the formation experiences of Level 2.