Archbishop's Appeal

The Archbishop’s Appeal is the annual fundraising campaign that provides supplemental financial assistance to institutions, programs and ministries affiliated with the Catholic Church throughout the Archdiocese of San Antonio.

Learn More Make A Donation
  • 5,000,000
  • 4,000,000
  • 3,000,000
  • 2,000,000
  • 1,000,000
3053464.39
4199840.15

News

​Father Tom still missing, but bishop hopeful about his release

May 04, 2016 | posted by Catholic News Agency

Topics: Breaking News


Father Tom still missing, but bishop hopeful about his release  

Two months after being kidnapped in Yemen, Salesian priest Tom Uzhunnalil remains missing, although a bishop involved in his case remains hopeful about his timely release.

“The last words, which are quite reassuring, I received indirectly about ten days ago. I was told that Father Tom is alive, and that his return to freedom could be imminent,” said Bishop Paul Hinder OFM Cap, Apostolic Vicar of Southern Arabia.

“But since then nothing has happened. We hope and pray for him,” the bishop told Fides New Agency.

Father Uzhunnalil, an Indian national, was abducted in April, when four gunmen attacked a Missionaries of Charity-run retirement home in Aden, Yemen, killing 16 people, including four Missionary of Charity sisters. The attacks are thought to have been perpetrated by Islamist terrorists, though no group has claimed responsibility for the incident. Both the Islamic State and al-Qaeda have a presence in the area.

Rumors began spreading during Holy Week that Fr. Tom was to be crucified on Good Friday, although those reports were later retracted. Father Uzhunnalil’s Salesian community and the bishop of the local Church dismissed the rumors as false information, warning that spreading such rumors was irresponsible and could be harmful.

Indian security officials are involved in negotiations for his release. The specifics of the ongoing investigation and negotiations have not be revealed so as to protect the life of Father Tom.