The Mission Awareness Ministry seeks to educate and inspire the Archdiocese of San Antonio to participate in their baptismal calling in missions in their everyday life. We provide mission education and mission materials for educators, catechists, parishes and schools. We collaborate with dioceses, religious, clergy, non‐profits and lay mission groups for the mission of the church.
Pontifical Mission Societies
We are the local representative for the Pontifical Mission Societies.
The Pontifical Mission Societies were given the title “Pontifical” in 1922 and have special responsibility in the Universal Church. They are under the direct canonical jurisdiction of the Holy Father who, together with the entire body of Bishops, remind all the faithful of their baptismal call to mission. They also remind us to offer financial support through the Pontifical Mission Societies for more than 1,150 mission dioceses in Asia, Africa, Europe, the Pacific Islands and Latin America.
The Pontifical Mission Societies include:
• The Society for the Propagation of the Faith: Seeks prayer and sacrifice for foreign missions to support pastoral programs, catechetical work, building churches, health care systems and schools
• The Missionary Childhood Association: Enables youth to participate in the mission work of the Church through education, prayer and support, from children to children across the continents
• The Society of St. Peter Apostle: Supports the education of candidates for the priesthood in the developing world and the formation of religious men and women in the mission dioceses
• The Missionary Union of Priests and Religious: Encourages and forms missionary awareness in all priests and religious men and women so that they cultivate the missionary spirit in their ministries
Financial Support for Mission Awareness
Mission (arch)dioceses, religious organizations and lay mission groups may apply to the Archdiocese to seek financial support through the Mission Cooperative Plan. We ask that you prepare a request that includes information on the project, background information on the mission site/region location, and any details that may give a full perspective on the needs of this projects.
How to Apply for Support
You may apply for financial support by emailing Mission Awareness Office or mailing your request to:
Archdiocese of San Antonio
ATTN: Mission Awareness Ministry
2718 W. Woodlawn Ave.
San Antonio, TX 78228
Please include the following information in your request:
• Description of your Ministry
• Description of how the donations will serve your ministry
• Number of People Served
• Percentage of Budget comes from Mission Appeals
Mission Awareness Ministry may be able to provide resources, and speakers for children of all ages and adults. The materials will provide education on the realities of world, and how the Church is active in charity and social justice. Our pool of speakers can discuss different Catholic Projects that take place worldwide that help support education, religious formation, women in leadership, environmental efforts and health care. For more information, contact the Mission Awareness Office.
Go on a Mission
Interested in going on mission? We have short term opportunities (a week to 1 month) and long term opportunities (1- to 2-year commitment) to participate. Currently, 11 parishes within the Archdiocese actively participate in mission trips in El Salvador, Belize, Honduras, Mexico, and other parts of the world. For more information, contact the Mission Awareness Office.