**The Archives is currently closed for research while undergoing extensive renovations. **
The use of the Chancery Archives is a privilege accorded to the public by ecclesiastical authority and can be revoked at the will of the Most Reverend Archbishop of San Antonio.
- The use of certain materials is restricted by statute, by the office of origin, or by the donor. For the protection of its collections, the archives also reserves the right to restrict access to records which are not arranged, are being processed or are exceptionally valuable or fragile. In some cases copies may be substituted for originals.
- Researchers must fill out and sign an application form and must provide identification (driver’s or ID card with photograph).
- All briefcases, purses, coats and other personal articles are to be deposited with the staff member on duty at the reference desk. Only paper and pencils may be taken to the research area (the use of ink is strictly prohibited). The Archives reserves the right to inspect all research materials and personal articles before a person leaves the research room.
- Mutilation, destruction and theft of materials are subject to prosecution.
- Smoking, eating, drinking and small children are prohibited in the archives.
- Permission to reproduce does not constitute permission to publish. Please contact the Director of Archives and Records Management for permission.
- Permission to publish from unpublished manuscripts or published works under copyright must be obtained from the holder of the copyright. It is the researcher's responsibility to secure that permission and to observe the copyright law as well as the laws of libel and invasion of privacy and of property rights. For original manuscript material owned by the archives, the special permission of the Chancellor should be obtained before publication.
- In citing materials from the archives, use the following credit line: "Courtesy of the Archives of the Archdiocese of San Antonio."
- In the event that the research becomes a source for publication, the Archives of the Archdiocese of San Antonio requests a copy of the publication. If unavailable, please send us a bibliographical note.
Permission to reproduce does not constitute permission to publish.
- Manuscript Photocopies
- Must be made by staff members, subject to staff and equipment availability for a charge of $0.25 per exposure payable in advance.
- Prints from microfilm are $1.00 per sheet
- For mail orders there is a postage and handling fee; the minimum mail order charge is $3.00.
- Research of microfilm records may be searched for a reimbursement of $5.00 per hour or any part of an hour.
- Persons unable to come to the archives themselves and who wish a search to be made of the records will be required to post a deposit of $25. Any additional research will cost $15 per hour.
- There is no refund on the minimum deposit.
- Persons requiring a great deal of assistance by the archivist (after 20 minutes), even though not using the microfilm, will be asked for a $10 per hour reimbursement..
- Photographs for a one-time use is $25.
- Photographic images sent by e-mail $3.00 per image.